Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Day Job Versus My Passion

Okay people...another one of the "100 Blog Topics I Hope YOU Write" topics...because I am outta ideas here!!!  This one strikes a nerve.  My day job vs. my passion.  I followed my passion once...when I went to work for Walt Disney World.  It turned out very good...I met Mike while working for the Mouse.  It also turned out very bad...I realized I liked being a Guest moreso than a Cast Member.  Of course, I get nostalgic for my old CM days and want to work there again...so I guess I really did like working there...

My real, true passion is to work with children.  Specifically children with Special Needs.  I believe that I have had a "gift"...not to toot my own horn.  I am incredibly patient and understanding, or so I am told.  When I was 15-16 years old...I spent my summers babysitting for a family who had a Special Needs son.  I did not take care of him too often, mostly his younger brother and sister...but occasionally I did care for him.  Looking back, I can't remember what he was afflicted with...but I remember being so proud when I was able to care for him.  My mom was not sure I should or could...but I did it...I was determined. 

The more time I spend in Michael's classroom, the more I know I am meant to do this.  I NEED to go back to school.  I NEED to get my degree.  I NEED to get out of the Credit Union and follow my heart.  I love the CU, and they are a very good company to work for...but when I was a little girl, I never answered the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" with "A Financial Service Consultant".  No.  I either answered that I wanted to be a Walt Disney World Ambassador or a teacher.  Of course, I could not attain the level of WDW Ambassador (I decided at the tender age of 8 that this was to be my career) but a WDW Cast Member was pretty darn close.  Now I just need to work on the teacher part. 

I am incredibly lucky that I have such a supportive husband.  He WANTS me to quit my job.  He WANTS to see me go back to school.  He WANTS to see me do what I want to do, not what I have to do.  There is a huge difference.  I just hate that I have gotten myself into such a position where it is hard to leave a job because it pays pretty well.  There are some sacrifices that are going to have to be made...and I think I am ready.

Love to All.

No comments:

Post a Comment