Monday, January 7, 2013

MyMagic+ and MagicBands

Well, today Disney announced via it's Disney Parks Blog that they are ready to roll out their "MyMagic+" program.

Hmmm.

I can't say much about it, right now.  I don't know what to think.

Micro-manage my vacation???

I am NOT that kind of traveler.

I don't even like what the ADRs have become.  Waking up at 6am on day 180 and trying to map out where to eat when is not my idea of fun.  Just read this previous post.

According to the Blog, Disney has "devoted considerable time and resources to create a more immersive, more seamless and more personal experience for each and every guest who spends time with us".

Making Fastpass reservations on your smartphone while "playing" in one park for the park that you *foresee* visiting the next day???  While working around any ADRs you have made???  I don't know about this.

Photo: Disney Parks Blog

This photo {the Blog states that a Guest is utilizing MyMagic+ at Disney's Animal Kingdom, but that looks like a Jungle Cruise costume} shows the happy family walking right through the "turnstile" at this attraction, just holding up their MagicBand to the reader.  The Cast Member smiles as they walk through, apparently no problems using the prearranged Fastpass for this attraction.

Maybe I am *nostalgic*, but I miss the days where we might have had one ADR planned.  My parents would let us know where we were expected to meet for lunch/dinner and when we were expected to be there.  {if we had breakfast ADRs, we would all go together to start our day}  My sisters, brother and I would decide who wanted to go where...and we paired up with someone.

I would have said something like, "I was thinking I wanted to spend the morning at Epcot to go around Future World, then park hop over to MGM Studios to ride Tower, Coaster and catch Fantasmic! ???  Who wants to join me???

Sister #2 might say, "MGM sounds good, but I wanted to go to the Magic Kingdom because I didn't get to ride Carousel of Progress and the WEDway PeopleMover yet".

Mom would chime in and say, "Don't forget, we have reservations at Prime Time at 5:45.  Be there around 5:30"

Sister #3 would say "I haven't been to Blizzard Beach yet, I wanted to spend some time there".  Then Sister #1 and Brother would say "That sounds good, we'll join you".

I would say "Okay, Sister #2.  Magic Kingdom then MGM Studios it is.  I love CoP and WEDWay".

Then we would leave the villa at Disney Vacation Club Old Key West Resort and go on with our day.

{Our parents???  Usually parked themselves on a bench in one of the parks.  They drive 17 hours in a van with their five children, surrounded by world class entertainment and attractions...and they love to just sit and peoplewatch}

See...we did not micro-manage a darn thing.

Sure, we were lucky enough to get to Walt Disney World more often than most of our friends and family, so we almost have a "been there, done that" attitude on our trips.  I just love the relaxed nature of our *old* trips.

Big Daddy and I have even joked that nine years after the fact, we *still* tour the parks as Cast Members.  We go around with the "we can see it next time" attitude.  We have passed that down to Little Man.

Heck, I don't want to IMAGINE Little Man micro-managing any part of our trip.  Micro-managing ANYTHING, for that matter.

The part that worries me most about the "MyMagic+" program is the MagicBand.

Photo: Disney Parks Blog


This photo seems to be of a Guest entering a park using the MagicBand.  Here is a brief explanation from the Disney Parks Blog of the MagicBand.

"Linking the entire MyMagic+ experience together is an innovative piece of technology we developed called the MagicBand. Worn on the wrist, it will serve as a guest’s room key, theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and optional payment account all rolled into one."

While I am super-excited that my room key, park pass, PhotoPass card and credit card are all in one place, I can't say that I am excited that it is a bracelet.

I worry about Little Man {Mr. Super-Sensory-Aversion} and a bracelet.  I think he will FREAK out.  Heck, I don't like wearing bracelets...especially bracelets that don't fit me quite right.  I have not worn a watch in nearly ten years.

I won't discount it totally until I try it out myself.  I can't even say that I will pass judgement {save the whole nostalgic thing} until I try MyMagic+.

What are your thoughts about MyMagic+???  Do you micro-manage your trips???  Do you take the "Cast Member" approach to your trips???  Do you fall somewhere in between???

{Love to All}

PS...the whole MagicBand thing sounds like something a pregnant woman wears to make her pants stretchy or something.  Maybe it is just me and my weird sense of humor.



No comments:

Post a Comment