Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mama Cub...Scout, That Is...

...still trying to get back into the routine of things...Little Man has been in school for a month exactly.  My calendar is QUICKLY filling up.  I don't know if I can juggle everything.  I have to learn how to say no every once in awhile...it is hard, but I am learning.

Little Man showed interest in Cub Scouts...we knew it would be a commitment, but I had NO idea how much of a commitment.  Two meetings a month, for starters.  I no sooner signed my $65 check to join, then we were being told about the upcoming "popcorn sale" (which comes after the PTO Entertainment Book sales, during the PTO TJ's Pizza fundraiser and right before the PTO Cardinal's Calendar sale).  Yeah!!!  The night we signed up, we were informed of the Boy Scout Field Day.  Two.  Days.  Later.  I really had planned on taking Little Man (Big Daddy was working overtime that Saturday).  I even bought Little Man a new white tee shirt to tye-dye.  Yeah, after spending 12+ hours at school that Friday, my back was not cooperating with the thought of a Field Day.  When we signed Little Man up for Cub Scouts, we were also told about the semi-annual camp-out...that was scheduled for three weeks later.  I knew there would be camping involved, but I thought we would get a little more "practice" camping or something...I have not been camping in about 20 years...and I didn't like it much then.  IF Big Daddy can get the weekend off, and IF we can get all of the gear together and IF we can figure out even how to use it, then MAYBE we can go to the camp-out.  I am not holding my breath on this one.  We will be more prepared for the Spring camp-out.  I may even think of attending this one!!!  That same night, we were informed of the Cub Scout Car Wash to be held in two weeks.  Sounds like fun...heck, it is only three hours, out in the sunshine and the Scouts will divide 40% of what they earn in their each Scouts account!!!  Whoo-hoo!!!  That will come in handy when it comes time to get his uniform and supplies.  Now, we are also told that the Boy Scouts try to do something every weekend.  Every.  Weekend. 

Yes, this is going to be something enriching for Little Man, but we have a life outside the Boy Scouts.  I have a life outside the Boy Scouts.  Since Big Daddy is still working evenings, I am the one who signed on as the "Adult Partner"...every Cub Scout has to have one.  I am the one attending the meetings, I am the one attending fund-raisers, I am the one attending activities.  I am glad that we signed him up for this, but I am a little worried that it could take over.  I am back to working full-time (34 hours, but 34 EXHAUSTING hours!!!), I am taking Professional Development Courses for my job, I am helping the PTO, I am volunteering in Little Man's classroom, I have a husband, I have a son, I have a house that needs TLC, Little Man has swim, Little Man has Exerfun, Little Man has expressed interest in soccer...most of all, I have Little Man.  Even though Cub Scouts is for Little Man, I have to make sure that I am 100% there for Little Man.  He is going through a lot, and I want to make sure that I am not spread too thin.

Yes, I am excited for Cub Scouts and what it might mean for Little Man, but I will not let it take over our life.  We have our first meeting in the next month, and I will see how it is going to go.  I don't want to sound like a "Debbie Downer" about it, I just did not know what we were in for.

Love.  To.  All.

No comments:

Post a Comment