Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Samantha Stevens Syndrome

Growing up, I always got lost in the wonderful world of reruns.  The Brady Bunch, The Munsters, The Flinstones, even Gilligans Island.  One program that I was particularly fond of was Bewitched.  Yes, the story of the beautiful witch, Samantha Stevens...her beligured husband, Darrin and their adorable daughter Tabitha.

There is a Bewitched marathon today on TV Land.  It is like the programming gods knew that today was going to be a blah day.  The weather outside is gloomy, so we can't go out and play...or even do yardwork.  The house is in decent shape.  Of course, it could be better...but I just don't feel like it.  Mike is working overtime today and tomorrow...so I don't have anyone around to light a fire under my butt to get moving.  Yep, today is a great day to snuggle in bed and watch eight hours of Bewitched. 

One thing that I noticed when I was watching the show is just how perfect everything was.  How I thought that this was going to be my life when I became a grown up.  In many ways, I am still waiting to grow up.  I thought that I would have the perfect life, the perfect house, the perfect family.  I thought that women were supposed to be perfectly made up, wearing the cute little dresses, keeping the house immaculate and get dinner on the table.  Yeah.  Life isn't quite that way for me. 

I am okay with being perfectly imperfect.  My floor needs to be vaccummed, my dishes were washed...no thanks to the broken dishwasher sitting in the kitchen, the beds are unmade and I am not sure what we are having for dinner in a few hours.  Yep, lots of stuff needs to be done, but I am content in knowng that I am making memories for my Little Man...playing campout in the family room, playing SpongeBob Sorry and Toy Story Memory.  Watching Yo Gabba Gabba, Olivia and Wow Wow Wubbzy back to back to back and having a picnic in our family room campout.  Sure, my house could look like Samantha Stevens'...but I am okay with it not.  I am okay with being just the way I am.

Love to All.

No comments:

Post a Comment