Thursday, March 15, 2012

What is it Going to Take?!?!?

What is t going to take???  Seriously.  What is it going to take to get me to lose this weight???  I am not sure what it is going to take, but I have a feeling that a chat with my doctor tomorrow might do the trick.  Let's hope so.  Hopefully my general practioner will help, but I have a feeling therapy (and meds) are going to be needed to help me along the way.

Monday was our first day of Spring Break.  I volunteered to work.  40 hours???  I'll take 'em.  Mama has some new Disney Dooneys to buy.  I had a training on Monday morning for the Paraprofessional Praxis test.  {Yes.  I have to take this.  More on that in another post.}  Training had wrapped up around 11:15, and I headed to my car.  I was getting ready to text my boss that I was on my way to work and that I was just stopping for a Diet Coke first.  Lo and behold, I had a text from my boss saying not to worry about coming in, the number of kids we had show up for the first day of Spring Break were low.

A day off???  It was 82 degrees, not a cloud in the sky...Big Daddy was at work and Little Man was at the school.  I did what any woman would do (I think)...I got that Diet Coke, drove home, opened ALL of the windows in the house and started Spring Cleaning.  It felt SO good to get that fresh air in the house {did I mention that it was 82 degrees...on March 12th?!?!?}.  I cleaned a good deal of my closet out, it is a process.  I had three bags for donation and one box for garage sale.  I felt good about what I had accomplished.

Until I couldn't get off the couch Monday night.

I figured I was in pain because I spent the better part of the afternoon squatting on a small stepstool.  I laid down with the heating pad, took a Vicodin and went to sleep.

I woke up a new woman {best nights sleep I've had in a long time}.  I got Little Man up and ready to go, and I was good to go.

Tuesday did not go quite as planned.

Numbers for out-of-school care were still pretty low.  I was working on busy-work (putting up bulletin boards) when I got a call on my walkie-talkie.  They needed me to work in preschool.  Yay!!!  I was back in my happy {work-happy} place.  What was I going to be doing???  Numbers in preschool are usually pretty low, and Little Miss M doesn't come to school during breaks.

I was working with a little boy who has some social/emotional issues.

Okay, I can handle this.  I've worked with this little guy before.  We get along pretty well.  I thought he was making great strides this year.

Boy, was I wrong.

This little guy was in the office for hitting the substitute teacher.  I don't usually work in this classroom, so I wanted a little backstory.  Apparently the little guy had his tonsils removed in late January.  Mom and Dad tried to send him back to school only after a day of rest (???) and he was sent home that same day.  He then stayed home for a week.  Ever since his surgery, he has gotten worse and worse at school.  The only thing that anyone can put their finger on is that he craves attention.  He gets attention when he acts out.  He bites, hits, kicks, throws toys...and he is strong.  Stronger than even Little Man.  He is very angry.  I spent all day with him.  He spent the majority of the day in the office, because of hitting, throwing toys and just plain not listening.  He wouldn't go outside.  He wouldn't walk with the class to lunch.  He wouldn't come in the classroom for nap.  He just wanted some one-on-one time with someone.  His parents won't fill out the paperwork to get him a paraprofessional full-time.  The poor teacher and classroom assistants take the brunt of this child's anger.  He flat-out punched the afternoon classroom assistant when she was putting another child's toy away.  Punching.  Repeatedly.  At that point, I grabbed the little guy and carried him out of the classroom.  I am not sure if I did something to aggravate my back at that point or not. {I was also wearing sparkly ballet flats, not helping the cause}

I left work Tuesday afternoon, barely able to walk.

I laid down with a heating pad, took a Vicodin and went to sleep. {sound familiar?!?!?}

I woke up Wednesday a new woman.

Wednesday went so much better with the little guy.  Of course, it took him over 45 minutes to get inside the classroom, and when he was there he growled at the substitute teacher, hit a student and threw a Hot Wheels, hitting another student in the head.

That went well.

We went outside for recess, where it took about 20 minutes to get from the door down the sidewalk to the playground.  We played outside for more than two. hours.  {Did I mention that it was 86 degrees on March 14th?!?!?} He did great outside.  He took a good nap, had snack, did activities and played with friends.  I went home Wednesday afternoon, and didn't feel defeated (yay!!!).  I took Little Man to swim lessons, where I sat down for the first time all day.  He was early for lessons (about 40 minutes) so he played in the pool, his actual lesson was 30 minutes.  I sat on the bench for more than an hour.

I couldn't get up.

I managed to hobble out to the car.  {Imagine how awful I felt as the fat woman taking the elevator in the health club!!!}  We had a small errand to run at Target (dog food and Pull-Ups were EXTREMELY needed) and I had to lean on the shopping cart.  {once again, look at the fat woman leaning}  I am grateful that Big Daddy was home to bring in the dog food, otherwise "Dumb and Dumber" would have starved.

Wednesday night, I laid down with the heating pad, did NOT take a Vicodin {did not want to run the risk of becoming dependent} but took 800 mg of Ibuprofen, and fell asleep.  Or tried to.

First thing I tweeted this morning, something along the lines of "Worst night sleep.  Ever.  Wish I were exaggerating".

I am not sure I even fell asleep.

So much for not wanting that d*mn Vicodin.

Luckily, the little guy didn't come to school today.  The kids were on the playground from 7:30 am until 10:00 am {did I mention it was 81 degrees on March 15th?!?!?} and I did as much as I could.  By the time we came in for snack (green pancakes...yum!!!) I was walking like an 80-year old man.

I was sent home from work.

I called the doctor and laid down with the heating pad. {no Vicodin, I had to pick Little Man up at 4}  The doctor called at 3 pm, he called out a prescription for a muscle relaxer and 800 mg. of ibuprofen.  And he wants to see me tomorrow morning.

I am feeling better, but walking slowly.  Every time I sneeze or cough, it hurts.

In a long, round about way, this is where my talk with my doctor about my weight comes in.

I can blame it on the stepstool.  I can blame it on the sparkly, flat shoes.  I know what it really is that is causing my back problems.

My weight.

What is it going to take???

I am scared.

My doctor is a nice guy, but he is going to be tough on me.  Maybe it is what I need.  Who knows.  i need to lose the weight to keep up with Little Man, to keep up with my job.  The thoughts run around my head every day.  Every minute of every day.

Love to All.

No comments:

Post a Comment